When kids get a chance to grow their own food, they are more likely to try it! School gardens are an important part of Farm to School. Over the past four years, all three K-6 elementary schools in Brattleboro have established school gardens. Brattleboro Area Middle School is breaking ground on a new school garden in the Spring of 2010 and will partner with the Windham Regional Career Center for this project. Brattleboro Farm to School supports all these garden efforts.
Check-out these great resources…
Great Cold Frame Manual
- An excellent resource for Classroom Projects, Thematic Explorations, Classroom Stories, Parents’ Primer, Activities, Pollinator Curriculum, School Greenhouse Guide, Funding Resources, etc.
Friends of Burlington Gardens:
- Planning checklist for organizing a community or school garden
- Fundraising strategies for your
community or school garden
- Keys to success: how to develop a sustainable school, youth, or community-based garden
- 10 challenges to sustaining a youth garden and how to meet them
Great Model/Layout for Community School Gardens- Henry Homeyer’s 9×12 Vegetable Garden
- Click here to read about the 9 x 12 Vegetable Garden
- 9 x 12 Sample Garden Map
- 9 x 12 Blank Worksheet
Planting & Garden Mapping Resources – compiled by Robert King
- List of useful seed catalogues, gardening tools, websites and books. Click here.
- Eastern States Planting Chart
- Traditional Plant & Row Spacing for Vegetables
- Sample Garden Map
Cornell University’s Garden-based Learning website has a free companion publication entitled “One Seed at a Time: Alleviating Climate Change through youth Community Action in the garden.” Download here.
The Union of Concerned Scientists recently released a 12-page publication to help gardeners, farmers, and educators better understand the relationship between agriculture and climate change. The “Climate-Friendly Gardener” guidebook is free for downloading here.
Looking for some inspiration? Check out what other school community gardens are up to. Click here to access the Vermont School Garden Directory.